in your arms i experience true peace
no place do i feel safer, not even in my own mind – which creates chaos and worry
my chest full of rapid beats – you wrap your strong arms around me
calms my heart
calms my thoughts
calms my soul……
yes…….childlike wonder i still have in my soul
despite the years i have behind me, i still see the would through the eyes of a child
it may seem silly for one of such age to get so excited by a butterfly, a flower, a happy dog with his head out a window, a poem, a sunset, or a friendly comment
but………my heart still skips a beat when i see small tokens of joy present itself
it is as if God is telling me…….i am here……and……i never left……..
in the darkness of night………they flash with passion
their brilliance shining…….lighting up their little part of the world
others looking on with amazement, joy and splendor
I dream of a world where small lights of kindness continually illuminate the darkness
bringing hope and happiness to others
- I can remember where I put my keys the last time I used them
- I can find my purse when I need to leave without help from one of my kids
- I remember that my sunglasses are on the top of my head within two minutes of searching for them.
- I can create a blog entry in less than 3 hours without crying
- I remember to bring my grocery list with me to the store
- I remember I have list with me, and use it at the store
- I can find my phone 75%………ok 50% of the time
- I can summarize what I read in a book from the day before
- I remember an appointment without being reminded by one of my calendars
- I am able to help my kids with algebra
…….as you can read, it really doesn’t take much!
…..and it is so darn frustrating and down right scary some days. There are times the brain fog is so thick is seems as if I am trying to think my way through oatmeal, and the old-fashioned rolled ones at that. I can’t remember peoples’ names, words, what I walked into a room for, or what I was going to say next. These symptoms scare me, big time, and I have to work hard to keep my emotions in check as anxiety can come on strong and put me on a train to nowhere.
So, to assist with my memory, here are a few things that I do:
- I make a lot of lists. I keep a running list of items needed at the grocery store and things to do …………….now if I can only keep track of all my lists!
- I keep a calendar on my phone plus one in the kitchen and one in the bedroom. I also keep separate calendars on the wall for each of my kiddos major projects, homework, and tests. I realize this is a lot of calendars, but it has taken me years to discover what works for me.
- I try not focus on my mental hiccups as it leads to anxiety which makes every single symptom in the entire world worse!
- I consume healthy fats for my brain.
- I do my best to stay properly hydrated.
- I try to keep my brain active by reading, listening to music, researching, meditating, and trying to learn something new. Who couldn’t be helped by memorizing some Shakespeare?…..shall I count the ways?!
- I take omega 3 fatty acid every day.
- I take magnesium every day.
- I eat a large salad every day.
- I try to move my body daily with some type of physical activity.
Memory issues, from my experience, seem to go along with many of chronic illnesses. I would LOVE to hear what helps you………..
Now that it is summer (and I am way late posting this), there are so many free activities taking place around the country. Just in my small mid-west town we have a free concert series, library summer reading programs, free movies once a week and free lunches every weekday for anyone who is hungry. So check out what is available in your location………you might be amazed how many free activities are available to you and your family and the free choices can be just as fun as the ones that cost money – without the guilt.
Below is a list of some free activities for adults:
Free admission into National Parks
Free admission into museums with Bank of America credit card or
Free classes for adults at home depot………yes, they offer free kid classes too
Free fishing days
Places you can volunteer
Free music app………..makes doing something not-so-fun, more fun with a personalized playlist
Whole foods offers free classes in some locations
Some Williams Sonoma stores offer free classes
I was informed of a website, ReSpectacle, that offers free eye glasses to those in need. I spent some time browsing their site and it looks as if anyone is able to order glasses free of charge, even shipping is free if you are unable to pay. Because no eye exam is done you would need to know your prescription and since the glasses are sent to you through the mail, there is no one to custom fit the glasses to your face. This is designed for individuals that have no other way to receive eye wear. Although this organization is based in the US, there is a link for those who live outside the county.
If you or someone you know is unable to pay for corrective eye wear, please pass this information along………thank you so very much!