When I was much younger, traveling was something I looked forward to doing in my life. I dreamed that some day I/we would have enough money to visit a few places I have always dreamed of seeing in person……..Italy, India, Cuba, Belize and the Southwest U.S. Instead, extra money goes to pay medical bills and the thought of getting on a plane or sitting in a vehicle for a long road trip creates anxiety. I already feel ill, being in a moving anything makes me feel worse…………every, single, time. Period. It just sucks.
But there are times in our life when we need to go somewhere that requires being in a moving vehicle for more than a trip across town, and since teleportation isn’t a thing yet, I just have to suck it up and get through it.
So here are a few things that have made traveling more bearable for me:
- I stay hydrated. I always feel better when my body has adequate water. Bottled is a must as tap (chlorinated) water makes me instantly ill.
- I eat as healthy as possible. Junk food makes me feel like just like that, junk. I usually pack a cooler and bring cut up veggies, fruit, nuts and seeds, grain-free tortilla chips, and some health bars.
- I watch the world pass by. Unfortunately I can’t read, look at my phone or do much of anything other than look out the window while being in a moving object. Doing otherwise has had some bad results.
- I bring my pillows and blanket with me. I must have a wedge pillow to sleep as elevating my head at night allows me to function better the next day. Then my own blanket to cozy up with at the end of the day allows me to sleep better.
- I don’t push myself into that k(no)w zone. You know the place of no return, when you realize that if you do anymore you won’t be able to function the next day. I use to worry about letting others down but now, I realize that even if I am going to unintentionally hurt someone’s feelings, I won’t force my body to do things it just doesn’t want to do. I do what I can and know I have done my best.
- I do my best to take all supplements and/or medication on time. I keep these with me as I travel so I don’t have to waste precious energy frantically searching for them at the last minute.
- I bring earbuds with me so I can listen to relaxing music or a podcast when I need to focus on something other than how crappy I feel.
- I pack comfortable clothing and shoes. I know we all want to look nice but comfort is so much more important.
- If I am going to be busy on the day I arrive at my destination, I always ask for early check-in. That way I have time to relax before I need to be somewhere.
- I always bring my heating pad. That way I have something to help relieve sore muscles other than a hot shower.
Until next time…………..YOU are a superhero and superheros sometimes have to fly!